It is the policy of the State Board of Equalization (BOE) to provide equal access to available services and information to all taxpayers, and the general public, including those who are Limited English Proficient (LEP) in accordance with the Dymally-Alatorre Bilingual Services Act (Act), Government Code section 7290, et seq. Equal access is provided by the use of bilingual staff, translated written materials, and contracted interpretation and translation services.
If an individual believes they have not been provided with the requested information or services pursuant to the Act, the individual may submit form BOE-254, Language Access Complaint to BOE. To resolve any complaints, the individual should take the following steps:
- Contact the manager in charge to request the services (i.e., translated material or interpreter). If the manager is unable to assist the individual, contact the BOE Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Office.
- If services are not provided after speaking to the manager, the individual may submit a Language Access Complaint form to:
State Board of Equalization
Equal Employment Opportunity Office, MIC: 122
PO Box 942879
Sacramento, CA 94279-0122
E-mail complaints to:
BOE Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Office
The following are the Language Access Complaint Process:
- The EEO Office will contact the individual within five (5) business days of receipt of the complaint.
- Within 30 calendar days of receipt, the EEO Office will determine the validity of the alleged violation. If appropriate, the EEO Office will arrange to meet with the individual to discuss the matter and attempt to remedy the alleged violation (i.e., provide the individual with the translated material, or an interpreter).
- If the alleged violation is not remedied in Step 2, the BOE's determination and resolution shall be communicated to the individual within 60 calendar days of receipt of the complaint, unless the EEO Officer authorizes additional time for further consideration of the complaint. Any authorized extension of time will be communicated to the complainant.
- Any request for reconsideration of the BOE's determination and resolution to the complainant shall be at the discretion of the Executive Director.
If the individual is dissatisfied with the BOE's handling of the complaint at any stage of the process or does not wish to file a complaint through the BOE's Language Access Complaint form, the individual may submit a complaint directly with the California Department of Human Resources (CalHR) by contacting their Language Access Complaint Line at 1-866-889-3278.