Alcoholic Beverage Tax

The alcoholic beverage tax is a per-gallon excise tax collected on the sale, distribution, or importation of alcoholic beverages in California.

In general, you must register with the Board of Equalization if you are required to obtain certain licenses issued by the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC). Please see the Frequently Asked Questions below for more information on types of licenses.

Special Notices

Information About



Returns & Reports

Make a Payment

Forms & Publications


Related Web Sites

Contact Us

If you have questions regarding this program or need to register with the BOE, please contact Special Taxes and Fees at the following address or telephone number:

Special Taxes and Fees, MIC: 88
State Board of Equalization
PO Box 942879
Sacramento, CA 94279-0088

Telephone 800-400-7115
(TTY: 711)

Email Your Tax Questions