Special Taxes & Fees Programs Registration Information
Special Taxes and Fees administers over 29 tax and fee programs. The Board of Equalization (BOE) wants to streamline your registration process in California and make it as easy as possible. You can register for most Special Taxes and Fees programs using online registration.
For more information on a specific program or questions regarding whether you are required to register please click on the specific program listed below.
You may register online for a permit, license, account, or other tax and fee program using Online registration. Participating programs are identified by an asterisk (*) below. Online registration is a convenient way to apply, and is available 24 hours a day.
Renew a License and/or Request Additional Decals
You may renew your license and/or request additional decals online. In addition to online registration, programs identified below by two asterisks (**) also participate in online renewal.
Customers with a user ID may log in here on our secure site to complete a renewal application or request additional decals.
Online License Renewal Frequently Asked Questions
Representatives are available to answer your questions Monday through Friday (except State holidays) from 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.
- Toll-free: 1-800-400-7115 (TTY: 711)
- Outside the US: 1-916-445-6362
Special Taxes & Fees Programs Registration Requirements
Click on the below programs to learn about additional registration requirements.
- Alcoholic Beverage Tax *
- California Tire Fee *
- Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Fee
- Cigarette & Tobacco Products Licensing Program **
- Cigarette & Tobacco Products Tax *
- Cigarette Tax Stamp Program *
- Covered Electronic Waste Recycling Fee *
- Diesel Fuel Tax *
- Emergency Telephone Users Surcharge *
- Energy Resources (Electrical) Surcharge *
- Fire Prevention Fee
- Hazardous Waste Activity Fee
- Hazardous Waste Disposal Fee
- Hazardous Waste Environmental Fee *
- Hazardous Waste Facility Fee
- Hazardous Waste Generator Fee *
- Integrated Waste Management Fee (Solid Waste & Wood Waste)
- Jet Fuel Tax *
- Marine Invasive Species (Ballast Water) Fee
- Motor Vehicle Fuel Tax *
- Natural Gas Surcharge *
- Occupational Lead Poisoning Prevention Fee *
- Oil Spill Prevention, Response and Administration Fees *
- Tax on Insurers
- Underground Storage Tank Maintenance Fee *
- Water Rights Fee
Motor Carrier Office
The Motor Carrier Office administers the following programs: