Amend a Return
If you discover an error on a previously filed sales and use tax return, you should file an amended return. Currently, there is no electronic method to amend or correct a return. Please do the following:
- Make a photocopy of your original return and applicable schedules. For electronically filed returns, photocopy the “Confirm Filing” page and any applicable schedules. Registered eClients can print a copy of the “Confirm Filing” page and applicable schedules. How do I reprint my confirmation page?
- If you cannot obtain a copy of your original confirmation page, download a return and any applicable schedules.
- Write “AMENDED RETURN” at the top of the document.
- Write in the correct information that should have been reported on the original return. Use a different color ink to distinguish from the original information if you are using a copy of a previously filed paper return.
- Attach a cover letter explaining the changes made to the original return.
- Make a copy of the amended return for your records.
- Mail all documents, including any additional payment owed, to the following address:
Board of Equalization
PO Box 942879
Sacramento, CA 94279-7072
For assistance in calculating the interest due use the Interest Rate Calculator.
If your amended return results in a refund, please read Publication 117, Filing a Claim for Refund.
For additional information contact our Taxpayer Information Section at 800-400-7115.