Water Rights Fee
The Water Rights Fee applies to owners of water rights and is collected annually. The fee is based upon a schedule of fees adopted by the State Water Resource Control Board (SWRCB). The BOE collects the fee and administers the program in cooperation with the SWRCB. (commenced 7-1-03; WC section 1525 et seq.)
Effective January 1, 2004, the California Water Code was amended to require the State Water Resources Control Board (State Water Board) to adopt emergency regulations revising and establishing water right fees and water quality certification fees to be deposited in the Water Rights Fund in the State Treasury. The Water Code authorizes the State Water Board to periodically adjust the fees and requires the State Water Board to revise the fee schedule each fiscal year as necessary to conform to the revenue levels set forth in the annual Budget Act. (Wat. Code, §§ 1525, 1530 & 13160.1.)
The State Water Board entered into a contractual arrangement with the Board of Equalization (BOE) to process and collect all assessed annual fees.
- Notice to Water Rights Feepayers
- Water Right Fee Litigation Update - FAQs (2007)
- Sample of a Board of Equalization (BOE) Notice of Determination
- Program Information
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Water Board’s Frequently Asked Questions
- Are you required to register?
- To register please contact the State Water Resources Control Board at (916) 341-5254 or visit their website at http://www.waterboards.ca.gov/waterrights/.
There are no specific returns for the Water Rights program. Fees are assessed by Notice of Determination (billing) as identified by the State Water Resources Control Board.
If you have questions regarding this program or need to register with the BOE, please contact Special Taxes and Fees at the following address or telephone number:
Special Taxes and Fees, MIC: 88
State Board of Equalization
PO Box 942879
Sacramento, CA 94279-0088