State Board of Equalization's 2000-01 Annual Report Now Available -- News Release
Date: May 16, 2002
Contact: Sherilyn Larsen Customer and Taxpayer Services Division
State Board of Equalization's 2000-01 Annual Report Now Available
John Chiang, Chair, State Board of Equalization, announced today that the Board's 2000-01 Annual Report is now available. Revenues from the tax programs administered by the State Board of Equalization (Board) provide essential services for California's citizens, from education and health care to public safety and natural resource management. Revenues from Board-administered programs increased by 4.5 percent in fiscal year 2000-01, yielding a record $41.25 billion for state and local governments. Fiscal year sales and use tax revenues grew by 5.2 percent to reach $35.4 billion. This information and more is found in the Board's 2000-01 Annual Report.
Noteworthy facts found in the 2000-01 Annual Report include:
- Taxable sales in the state totaled $447.5 billion during the year, an increase of $27.1 billion, or 6.5 percent, over sales in 1999-00.
- Total sales and use tax revenues of $35.4 billion included nearly $22.1 billion for state programs and services and more than $13.2 billion for cities, counties, and special districts.
- Motor vehicle fuel tax revenues rose by 3.7 percent to $3.19 billion.
- Collections from tobacco-related taxes decreased in 2000-01, dropping 5.2 percent to total $1.16 billion. Alcoholic beverage tax revenues increased 2.2 percent to $288.45 million.
- Statewide property tax levies for 2000-01 totaled $24.77 billion, an increase of 8.2 percent. County-assessed property values grew $214 billion during 2000-01 to reach $2.51 trillion for the 2001-02 tax year. The value of state-assessed properties—primarily privately owned public utilities and railroads—was set by the Members of the Board at $63.34 billion for the 2001-02 roll, a $310 million increase from the values set for the previous year's roll.
In addition to revenue data, the Board's 2000-01 Annual Report includes information on related legislation, significant court decisions, and agency operations. A statistical appendix contains detailed current and historical tax data.
(Copies of the annual report may be requested by calling 800-400-7115; an electronic version is on the Board's Internet site: www.boe.ca.gov/annual/annualrpts.htm .)