Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program aims to assist individuals and families with household incomes of less than $52,000. Every year, VITA volunteers who have been trained and certified by the Internal Revenue Service offer FREE tax filing assistance at various locations throughout California.
VITA volunteers work with the taxpayers to inform them about tax credits such as the Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit, and Credit for the Elderly or the Disabled. It helps low income families and individuals bring money back home to the communities in which they are most needed.
Get started today! Call 1-800-906-9887 or type in your zip code on the IRS website to find the nearest VITA assistance center.
Items you need to bring include:
- Proof of identification
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse, and dependents or a Social Security number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
- Birth dates for you, your spouse, and dependents on the tax return
- Current year's tax package (if you received one)
- Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- A copy of 2012 federal and state returns if available
- Bank routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit
- Total paid to day care provider and the day care provider's tax identifying number (the provider's Social Security number or the provider's business Employer Identification Number)
- If filing jointly, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms