About the Member
Betty T. Yee represents the First Equalization District and its 21 counties in northern and central California.
Highlights of Ms. Yee's career in State Government:
- Chairwoman of the Board.
- Over 28 years of experience in public service, specializing in state and local finance.
- Chief Deputy Director for Budget with the California Department of Finance where she led the development of the Governor's Budget, negotiations with the Legislature and key budget stakeholders, and fiscal analyses of legislation on behalf of the Administration.
- Senior staff positions on several fiscal and policy committees in both houses of the California State Legislature.
- Served as the first Executive Director of the California Governance Consensus Project, a long-term mediation project under the auspices of California State University, Sacramento, and McGeorge School of Law, involving 34 statewide interests focused on state and local governance and fiscal reform.
Throughout her career, Ms. Yee has been an advocate for underserved and underrepresented communities:
- Secured state funding for projects supporting the Asian Pacific Islander American community in San Francisco, San Jose, Sacramento, and Los Angeles.
- Helped establish the California Commission on Asian and Pacific Islander American Affairs.
- As a county public health commissioner and while working in the public and non-profit sectors, developed and implemented health and social services programs for women, older adults, and low-income individuals and families.
- Demonstrated a strong commitment to mentoring and supporting Asian Pacific Islander Americans, women, and youth seeking to enter or pursuing promotional opportunities in public service or elected or appointed office.
- Co-founded the Asian Pacific Youth Leadership Project, which exposes high school youth to the legislative process and encourages leadership and participation in public and community service.
- Currently on the board of directors for California Women Lead, a non-partisan, nonprofit organization dedicated to providing leadership training, networking opportunities, and policy discussion forums for women serving in or seeking elective or appointed offices.
- Currently on the board of directors for Equality California which promotes equality, fairness, and justice by working proactively to educate the public about issues affecting the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender community and ally communities.
- 2008 Community Service Award from the Golden Gate University Alumni Association
- Distinguished Service Award from the California State Association of Counties for her work on state and local finance issues.
- Award of Recognition from the California Assessors' Association for her work in establishing the State-County Property Tax Administration Program.
Ms. Yee's Background:
- Ms. Yee is a native of San Francisco where her immigrant parents owned and operated a laundry and dry cleaning business for 30 years. She earned her Bachelor of Arts degree in Sociology from the University of California, Berkeley, and her Master's Degree in Public Administration from Golden Gate University, San Francisco. She currently serves on the board of directors of the Cal Alumni Association.