Direct Transmit Program – General Information
What is Direct Transmit?
Direct Transmit allows a certified participant to transmit tax and fee data electronically using a variety of software or web applications without requiring data to be entered manually in the BOE's eFiling system.
What are the benefits of Direct Transmit?Itís Convenient
- Transmit data from anywhere you can connect to the Internet.
- Transmit data day or night – 7 days a week. (The system is unavailable from Sunday at 7:00 pm to Monday at 5:00 a.m., Pacific Time to perform routine maintenance.)
- Transmit return data remotely to the BOE using any program or website that has been successfully updated to provide return data in the required format.
- Eliminate trips to the post office
- Transmit return data without logging-in to the BOE-file system and manually entering tax or fee data, which saves time.
- Receive immediate confirmation of filing.
- The latest hardware and software security ensures the safety and security of tax and fee payer information. Data sent between the BOE and the Direct Transmitter must be encrypted using Secured Socket Layer (SSL) 3.0 or greater. The BOE uses a digital certificate installed on its web server to enable the SSL 128-bit encryption. Authentication of user ID and passwords will be enforced and validated to ensure data is transmitted from a secure source.
Who can be a Direct Transmitter?
A Direct Transmitter may be:
- A Tax Professional filing returns on behalf of clients.
- A Software Developer providing software that allows clients to transmit return data directly to the BOE.
- A tax or fee payer transmitting return data on their own behalf.
- An Electronic Return Originator (ERO) transmitting return data on behalf of clients through a web-based interface.
What accounts are eligible for Direct Transmit?
Most Sales and Use Tax accounts are eligible for Direct Transmit; however, there are a few accounts that do not meet the eligibility requirements. Additionally, Direct Transmit is not available for other tax programs and fees administered by the BOE.
For more information on the Direct Transmit Program, download the Direct Transmitter's Guide.